Saturday, December 31, 2005

#33 - The countdown begins...


Posted by Picasa
This is the last entry of the DEP section of my journal, and the last entry for 2005. I wish a Happy New Year to those who might be checking out this blog! Moving into the New Year means that my ship date is coming very soon! Seventeen more days, and I'm sure they are going to fly by...

I have been exercising today, but not as much as I should. It is New Year's Eve, after all, and I have a glass of asti in hand as I write this. I did give up chocolate and coffee, but I haven't put the kibosh on alcohol just yet. ;>

Most of what I'll need for basic training is packed up here and ready to go, save for the purchase of a phone calling card or two. My initial PT test is scheduled for sometime next week with my recruiter. I don't anticipate having trouble with the pushups or situps, but the run is a concern. Running has always been my weakest area. I haven't been running outdoors since the weather has been uncooperative (winter in Pennsylvania - go figure), and the track I've wanted to use at a local university has been locked up while school is out. My only running has been indoors as described in a previous post. I tried to run outside yesterday, and it was a failed experiment. I was having a very difficult time breathing in the cold air, and found myself running on a slate sidewalk (shin splints, here I come!), so I thought it best not to continue for very long.

The weather at Fort Jackson is warmer, so hopefully the cold temperatures won't be much of an issue there. I'm just worried that I haven't been able to time myself outside on a track for the 1 mile run. I'm not sure what will happen if I fail the PT assessment with my recruiter. Some folks who have completed basic have said they were able to ship anyway, and I've also heard that not being able to pass the initial PT assessment is grounds for being disqualified and not shipping out to basic. This is the fun of being in the DEP... There are so many rumors and opinions floating around, and it's often difficult to discern what is accurate information and what is not.

No comments: