Friday, December 09, 2005

#11 - Shopping for BCT


I still don't have a ship date for BCT, but I figure it's not too early to prepare. The Army has a list of items that they would like recruits to bring to basic training. It's a good thing that I already started on this. Some of the items are difficult to procure - it reminds me a little of a scavenger hunt!

- Clear plastic soap case and toothbrush holder: This seems pretty easy, but in reality hard to find. You can find these in every obnoxious 1980s neon color imaginable, but clear ones? I had to visit at least 6 or 7 stores before I hit paydirt.

- Sports bras, socks and underwear with no logo. No logo? In this consumer society where people pay extra to have corporate identities emblazoned across their chest (think of any sweatshirt from American Eagle Outfitters, the Gap, or Eddie Bauer)? I'm not sure if this is required because the Army desires uniformity within the ranks, or if they are worried other females may steal my underwear since it came from Victoria's Secret and not K-Mart. Guess I'll have to take a Sharpie to my stock of Hanes sports bras to black out the logos, lest I upset anyone.

- Plain black shower shoes (flip-flops). OK, this might not seem that difficult to procure... except that I live in Pennsylvania, and it's the middle of the winter. I've made several stops at local Wal-Marts, K-Marts, etc. and every time I ask for this I am given a look like I must be out of my mind. "Flip-flops? Why do you want flip-flops? There's a foot of freakin' snow on the ground!" Maybe I can buy a pair on e-bay...

No comments: