Wednesday, December 28, 2005

#30 - GI, er DEPer Blues


Posted by Picasa
I didn't really have a good day, though I'm not sure why..just one of those crappy days when you feel a bit down. It was hard to get motivated to do anything.

I think I'm feeling a little bit of buyer's remorse about my selection of an MOS. I keep telling myself that I should be lucky to have gotten it, that some folks who really wanted this MOS weren't able to get it. I am excited to be going to basic training, even looking forward to it. But I feel no such excitement about attending AIT afterwards. I'm already thinking that if I choose to reenlist in the future, that I would reclass into another MOS. I found myself even secretly hoping I would not pass the security clearance so I might be offered something else... probably not a good sign.

Maybe the way I'm feeling is because I had my heart set on 21T and 21U for so long. Well, I'm sure that's part of it. There's also a part of me that gravitates toward doing something a little more physical rather than relying on my brain (at least for work... my brain gets enough of a workout during my downtime!). I suppose this is why I enjoy my civilian job as an Archaeologist. I get to hike through the woods all day, dig lots of holes, feel the wind in my hair and mosquitos biting me... that sort of thing. I was thinking about doing something more physical for an MOS - who knows, maybe being an MP, or a mechanic?

It's not uncommon for people to want to reconsider after they've chosen an MOS. Apparently there is an option to renegotiate your contract, though it's not the easiest path to take. I don't know if this is something I should pursue. I'll have to give it some thought... Maybe working with computers wouldn't be a bad thing. God knows I sure spend enough time on them now!

No comments: