Thursday, March 30, 2006

#126 - Family day

I am very pleased to know that my husband is already in town, and waiting to see me in a few hours. Family day has been a long time coming!

Thus far today has consisted of cleaning the barracks, breakfast, and getting smoked. I already swept and mopped our room but most of the females are being lazy and not helping in any way. We received our personal bags (which were in storage), but for some reason the cadre refuse to let us wear our civilian eyeglasses. I'm hoping that my husband won't be frightened by the sight of my wearing BCGs!

...

It's been a busy day, and I haven't been able to write until now (9:26pm) as I am getting ready for bed. I had a great time with my husband today. We weren't able to leave Fort Jackson, but we spent a lot of time driving around and exploring the base.

The females are going wild right now in the barracks. Music is playing (as they've gotten their electronics back), cell phones are out, and everyone is dancing around in their hoochie mama civilian clothes. I'm shocked that one of the Drill Sergeants hasn't made an appearance by now.

I was assigned both a CQ and a fire guard shift tonight. I paid one of the girls in my bay to take both off my hands for $35. I figured it was well worth the expenditure, as I need all the sleep I can get right now.

Wakeup is at 5:00am tomorrow, which means about 4:30am for me. Right now I'm looking at a max of about 6 hours of sleep - that is, if the girls ever settle down tonight.

Luckily I already have everything packed up. My duffel has most of my uniform items, and everything else is in one of those big black Army bags. I still don't have much to carry compared to some of the girls in my platoon. It will be interesting to see how they will bring all of their belongings to AIT. I've pared down things to the bare minimum and am still having trouble carrying these.

No comments: