Wednesday, March 08, 2006

#104 - White STX

Despite the best of intentions, this is the first I've been able to write at all for three days - unprecedented for me in BCT! White STX has kept me far too busy, and we did not receive any personal time (barely any time for personal hygiene either, and that took place in the dark). I am back at sick call again for my blisters. The 7 mile road march on Monday morning was quite unpleasant, and my feet have paid for it. I have to get relief for these blisters as they look like they are on their way to becoming infected.

We started out on the road march about 5:00am, and took around 2 hrs and 45 minutes to finish, with two short rest breaks along the way. Before we began, two of the females in my platoon (Manacles and Penny) were complaining about having a difficult time carrying all their gear in addition to wearing the IBA flak jacket. Manacles started to cry, and told the Drill Sergeant that she struggles even carrying her gear up the stairs in the barracks. He relented and told both she and Penny that they could leave behind either their IBA or their rucksack. By halfway through the road march, about 1/3 to 1/2 of the females in my platoon had also complained and were allowed to put their rucksacks in the truck following us. Incidents like this lead me to believe that today's BCT has changed considerably compared to my first experience nearly a decade ago. Earlier in the march, I was keeping up ok, but about halfway through, the company commander decided to quicken the pace. I fell to the back of the platoon, but I did make it... with all my gear.

Along the way we passed an interesting little historic cemetery. From what I was able to see, a lot of the headstones dated from the early to mid 19th century. It made me wonder what other types of archaeological sites were in the area on post. I had my answer over the next few days as our training took us throughout the vicinity. There was a small fenced-off cemetery within our "patrol base" where we bivouaced for White STX. There were no longer any headstones remaining, but from what I was able to see, it was likely a small family plot of 6-7 individuals. I also saw a few stone rows across the road which were likely created during field clearing activities. These walls were covered with at least a foot of sand and vegetation, but I could still discern what was underneath. From what I was able to tell, it looked like there was probably a small settlement in the area dating from the early to late 19th century (and predating the formation of Fort Jackson ca. 1917). Anyway, it gave me something archaeological to think about for awhile. I believe the remaining features and sites were on my mind, as I had a dream about a conversation with some fellow archaeologists (in the dream, I was upset because I perceived being left behind, as I haven't done archaeology in a long time since I've been in the Army). This is only the third dream I've remembered since I've been here, which is odd for me, as I always used to remember my dreams before entering into the military.

During the first day of White STX, we occupied a simulated vehicle checkpoint, and had to search several vehicles that passed through. The checkpoint was surrounded by concertina wire, which is liked barbed wire but ringed with tiny razor blades - some nasty stuff. We also practiced clearing buildings using a "stack squad" - four or five people running through a room using SWAT-team like tactics. Others hid inside and played the part of the insurgents as well as innocent bystanders.

As it started to get dark at sunset, we set up our hooches. I was part of the battle buddy team of Jackman and Highe. The Drill Sergeant seemed impressed with the way I quickly and efficiently put up our 3-man hooch. Incidentally, White and Bucking struggled with theirs, and White was again trying to run the show. They had to finish putting it up in the dark. During the night, I had to pull a roving guard shift with Highe. This is even more boring than regular fire guard duty in the barracks, since it entails walking back in forth in the dark, with no flashlight.

In the morning, we had to tear down our hooches, only to put them back up again later. We spent most of the day engaged in squad tactics and attacking or defending other groups (using blanks in the M-16s). While attacking others, we learned to use various hand gestures to communicate. It was funny to see some of these people trying to move through the woods without making a lot of noise. For many of the folks here, this is the longest they've ever spent outdoors.

We expected that we would be gassed, but it never came to pass (I suppose the DSs are saving that for Blue STX, aka Victory Forge). However, a few males from my platoon decided to swipe another platoon's phase banner while they were sleeping - capture the flag, if you will. This happened in broad daylight. That platoon's Drill Sergeant was so upset (and probably embarrassed) that he stormed over to our platoon's encampment to retrieve his banner. He asked our DS which privates had stolen the banner, and confronted them. That DS then got quite physical with the privates in front of our DS and everyone in the platoon. The other's platoon's DS was a huge guy - probably 6'4", mean as hell, and very intimidating (this is also the jerk that made the disparaging comments to me when we were out at the rifle range). The Drill Sergeant grabbed one kid and hit him in the chest, throwing him on the ground. He then got the other kid and roughed him up, pushing hi against a tree, threatening to inflict bodily harm.

This kind of thing was probably normal years ago, but not really kosher in today's BCT. Later on our Drill Sergeant talked to the platoon about what had happened. He said that he was very shocked and disappointed to have witnessed the other platoon's DS' actions. It sounds like our DS is going to push for the offending Drill Sergeant's punishment. No one is sure what is going to happen. Whatever is the case, we will probably never know the outcome.

Last night was brutally cold to be sleeping outdoors. The temps dipped below freezing. Luckily the military sleeping bags are warm, but any body part exposed near the opening remains cold. I had my PT cap and gloves on, and still woke up several times from being too cold and uncomfortable.

I was supposed to have a roving guard shift last night, but we all got to sleep in, for a bad reason. Penny and Manacles were on guard duty and apparently decided to go back to sleep before being properly relieved at their post. So the chain was then broken, and none of the ensuing shifts were woken up. This is a big faux pas - one of the first things we learned in basic training was the general orders, one of which is "I will not quit my post unless properly relieved." Even though this was a huge infraction, it is unlikely that Penny and Manacles will be punished. Sadly, the Drill Sergeants often do play favorites here, and these two girls do get away with a lot of crap, being the cute girls of the platoon.

I'm about to give up on the hope of being helped today in sick call. They are often overbooked with appointments, and the system is overtaxed. This is what it must be like to be a patient in socialized medicine!

...

It is 5:56pm, and I did end up leaving sick call before I was able to be seen. They were too busy and had to turn soldiers away. I was able to obtain gauze and band-aids from the senior DS, and I still have a supply of Bacitracin (Neosporin), so I am going to try to take care of it myself (unless it gets more seriously infected, in which case I would have to go back for antibiotics). Again, I really hate going to sick call, but unfortunately we are forbidden from easily picking up requisite supplies that in the civilian world could easily be obtained from the corner drug store or convenient mart, and we can't have a lot of this stuff without a prescription here lest it be considered "contraband".

The DS is up in the barracks right now with bolt cutters removing the lock from Gallagos' locker. She is now officially AWOL, having failed to return from her emergency leave. We could all have predicted it. This makes two AWOLS now in our company.

Today was a good mail day. I received two letters from my husband, a card from my brother, a letter from a friend, and several postcards from one of my website moderators.

I had some good news today. After we throw live grenades tomorrow, we are going to turn in our IBA flak jackets. That means we will not have to lug along another 30 lbs on the last long road marches. I had heard the rumor that we were getting rid of them, but it was nice to have it confirmed. That is a huge weight off my shoulders, literally and figuratively.

I saw a template for the certificate that we will be given at BCT graduation. The Drill Sergeant asked us to look at our names to see if they were spelled correctly, and we had the proper rank. It is beginning to feel like it is truly almost over. I cannot wait!

No comments: