Wednesday, March 01, 2006

#100 - The days drag on...

I am sitting in the bleachers at yet another rifle range. This one was a bit difficult because the targets were green rather than black, and blended into the background. The weather is definately becoming warmer. It is sunny with a little breeze, and probably in the high 60s... a nice day, at least weather-wise.

This morning I ran for the first time in over a week. I had a difficult time with it because I am pretty sick right now. My throat is clogged with phlegm, and it felt like it extended into my lungs, which made breathing difficult. It was as if someone had a boot digging into my chest the entire time. I almost fell out of the run, but managed to hang in there and finish. It is frustrating because the Drill Sergeants will do everything in their power to discourage us from going to sick call. However, being sick for weeks and weeks without the benefit of even cough drops to alleviate the misery can be difficult to bear.

...

We finished early at the range and received an unanticipated visit to the Shoppette. I only spent about $30 there on a few items - mainly cough drops, a toiletries bag, moleskin, and some hand sanitizer.

I didn't do very well at the range toward the end. I had a weapons malfunction and lost out on using a number of rounds. Luckily this was just another practice run. I ended up spending much of the afternoon sitting around and bullshitting with various people in the platoon.

I am outside the Shoppette, and the sun is beginning to set. The interstate is behind us outside the fence of Fort Jackson, but the distant roar of traffic is not intrusive, but oddly calming. The sky is tinged with streaks of pink, and the temperature has cooled a bit with a pleasant breeze. It would be a good night to get behind the wheel of an automobile and ride with the windows down... or better yet, in a convertible with the top down. I have such a convertible at home, pictured above. It will be some time before I am behind its wheel again. I miss driving! :(

No comments: