Thursday, March 23, 2006

#121 - Victory Forge, day 6

We are at MOUT training practicing our building clearing techniques. The weather is cold - in the 30s. Last night White and I had a two hour roving guard shift so I am sleep deprived this morning. I still have a supply of instant coffee packets, however, to help me through the day. Yeah, caffeine!

This is our last real day of training, and tonight will be the last night sleeping out in the field. I believe that we will not be getting much sleep tonight, as the cadre will be using up all the remaining CS gas, smoke grenades, and whatever else they have in their arsenal. Tomorrow morning we will be packing up our stuff, filling in our foxholes, and policing the area for trash. I will be missing out on the road march back, but will be able to attend the Victory Forge rite of passage ceremony - more on that later.

It is 11:18am, and we have cleared two buildings so far. I was prematurely "killed" by an insurgent. Later on the entire company is supposed to attack this complex of buildings. We might be gassed during the process. We can smell gas now, though it is not strong. Someone must be getting gassed in the area. I hate this stuff.

This training complex was built to look something like a village in a war zone. There are a number of buildings, one and two story, ranging from prefab steel buildings to wood stick-built structures which have been made to look old. Broken down and burned out shells of automobiles, military trucks, and busses litter the landscape...

No comments: