Friday, March 03, 2006

#102 - Bickering

I am again at sick call, waiting for my turn in a den of hacking and sneezing soldiers. I came in to obtain some decongestant, cough syrup and more cough drops. I would probably try to suck it up a little longer, but I have a PT test tomorrow and my breathing is very difficult right now.

I usually wake up fairly early in the mornings to get ready, but somehow I managed to sleep in until the official wakeup time (this is not a good thing, as you never have enough time to get ready).

Yesterday there were almost two fistfights amongst the females of my platoon in the barracks. Apparently one of the girls pushed another, and in the midst of the scuffle, someone else got involved. The third girl ended up in a verbal altercation with another, so now there were actually four women screaming at one another. Luckily the DSs didn't hear the noise or we would have all gotten in trouble. I will be surprised if the platoon emerges unscathed and escapes an all-out brawl before the end of the BCT cycle.

I received a lot of mail yesterday, and still haven't gotten through all of it yet. I love receiving letters!

At the range we are supposed to be learning to detonate a Claymore mine. Claymores are filled with C4 and BBs - a nasty mix. Luckily we are practicing with "training aids", though I've heard that a few people may get to detonate the real deal. We are also going to get the chance to try out other types of weapons.

I will hopefully conquer two of my fears tomorrow. First thing in the morning is our PT test, and then we throw grenades. I am terrified of the grenades, since I am having difficulty throwing one the required distance. It is especially difficult wearing all the equipment - the IBA, LCE with canteens and whatnot, and Kevlar. Incidentally, I'm not the only one struggling with this - most of the short females are having a problem.

It is later in the afternoon. We spent the day learning to fire a number of bigger weapons including the SAW (Squad Automatic Weapon) and a 50 cal machine gun. Lots of destructive power (and noise) at my fingertips! There were a number of old tanks in the distance to fire at. It was somewhat enjoyable.

We returned to the company this afternoon. While we were cleaning our rifles in the platoon classroom, two of the females got into another physical altercation. The Drill Sergeant caught them this time and had to break it up. I would venture a guess that both of the girls will get in a lot of trouble, as DSs frown upon fighting. One of the girls, Bucking, has already been disciplined for wearing makeup on two occasions, and mouthing off to several people.

I am hoping that we will still receive our phone call privileges on Sunday. However, I have my doubts that this will happen. The DSs found out that the platoon has not been respecting Jackman as our Platoon Guide. They have been openly mocking her, especially while she marches us around. Earlier today someone was actually saying, "1,2,3,4, **** you bitch, **** you bitch!" in formation. The platoon's phase banner has been rolled up, the mark of shame. It is possible that we will not be able to use the phones this weekend unless the platoon can redeem themselves, which seems doubtful. There is still an incredible amount of bickering and fighting going on... I guess I'm surprised that the phase banner hasn't been rolled up all along.

No comments: