Monday, March 20, 2006

#118 - Victory Forge, day 3

It is currently 11:06am, and cold and rainy. We hear that massive rains are on the way. White and I dug a large drainage trench around our hooch in anticipation, plus I excavated trenches for several folks. Word has spread of my digging abilities...lol. I am shocked at how many people (mostly females) are having trouble digging, and how many people have never been camping before BCT.

Last night my squad went on a mission to "rescue" a downed helicopter pilot. It involved hiking about 1km in the dark to a burned out shell of an old Huey. We had to fight insurgents (with M-16 blanks) and then load the pilot onto a stretcher for evacuation.

One of the platoons got gassed last night. We could hear "Gas! Gas! Gas!" in the distance, and a lot of yelling and commotion. We haven't gotten it yet, but I know it will come any time now. I wouldn't mind being out here so much if it wasn't for the constant threat of the CS gas hanging over our heads.

In the morning everyone is usually slow in getting ready. Our DS told us that if we weren't on time, that we would be gassed. I never saw people move so fast...lol.

...

It is 1:25pm, and we have finished with lunch. I am laying in my foxhole (we do that a lot at Victory Forge). No rain yet, but the weather has been overcast, cold, and windy. We are soon leaving to run a vehicle checkpoint operation. No missions planned tonight other than defending our patrol base. Luckily my platoon members have been giving me the coffee packets from their MREs, so I may have some precious caffeine to help keep me awake tonight. I will probably eat the instant coffee raw. Nasty... but you gotta go what you need to sometimes.

I am just ready to get this week of training over with!

No comments: