Tuesday, March 28, 2006

#125 - Inspection preparations

There are only two more days until family day, and I can see my husband. I am very excited!

I didn't have any time to write yesterday. We did some PT, outprocessing and graduation practice. I am in the front row of my company. Bucking is to my right on the outside. She is really nervous about her marching, but I think she'll be ok.

We got our Class 'A' uniforms back from the dry cleaners yesterday, and pinned all the buttons and medals on. We also began wearing our black berets for the first time. They aren't so bad, but I would look like less of a dork if I could get rid of these birth control glasses. Amazingly, the cadre is forcing us to wear these for graduation. I don't see why they can't allow us to wear our civilian eyeglasses or contacts. Maybe it's their last hurray as far as making us miserable or exercising control over the minutia of our lives... who knows.

It is 1:53pm, and we are preparing for our last inspection. We will have to wear our Class 'A' uniforms and stand by our lockers with all of our equipment laid out (the stuff we cleaned and turned in yesterday).

This morning we had more graduation practice to contend with, in the rain. Luckily it is supposed to be sunny on Friday with a high of 78. Hopefully we won't keel over wearing the wool jackets.

I am more than ready to get the hell out of here. One of the girls woke me up last night for a fire guard shift that I didn't have, and I nearly ripped her head off. That's the first time I've really lost my cool with anyone while I've been here. Then another girl woke me up in the middle of the night to ask if I had scissors. I was ready to kill her! Maybe it's good that I don't know anyone here with my MOS who is going to AIT. The few that I will probably keep in touch with are Jackman, Newman, and a few girls from the other platoons. Maybe Bucking too, since I spent a lot of time with her. Other than those few folks, I really don't care for just about everyone else. I've tried to, but it has been difficult... Maybe a lot of it has to do with the stressful environment here...

At the graduation ceremony, Jackman is being honored with some other soldiers from the other companies in the battalion (soldiers of the cycle, soldier leaders of the cycle, high PT scorers, and high BRM scorers). She hasn't yet told her dad, who is going to be there - it will be a surprise. Jackman's father is a Capt. in the Army, and a Ranger to boot. Between her family's military background, being PG, and receiving this award, she has a lot going on that is causing the platoon to scathe with jealousy. Actually, it doesn't take much to foster jealousy in this crowd. A few of us that will be in front of the company had to attend a special graduation practice yesterday, and were wearing our black berets before everyone else did. When we returned to the company with them on, everyone in my platoon was very upset that he had something on that was different, and raised hell until we took them off. I know that most of the people here are in the 18-22 age bracket, but 8-12 is more appropriate for their maturity level... amazing.

No comments: