Monday, February 27, 2006

#98 - Reflexive fire

I am again out at a rifle range. This morning we visited EST 2000 once again to engage in "reflexive fire". Part of it was actually... gasp... somewhat fun. They showed movie-like images of insurgents firing at you from behind a crowd of bystanders. Of course you had to aim for the bad guys with the weapons while avoiding the innocent folks.

We then shifted to an outdoor range to fire at pop-up and immobile targets at short intervals like 10 and 25m. I am becoming more comfortable firing the M-16 and think I did pretty well today.

We also practiced lobbing hand grenades over a wall. I'm more than a little bit worried, as I throw like a girl, and couldn't toss them far enough. I am going to practice my technique, as this is something I need to improve upon.

Everyone seems to be getting in trouble today. We always encounter a shakedown when we exit the rifle range, and one of the DSs found what was likely a love letter on one of the soldiers. I don't understand why people would be stupid enough to bring anything incriminating with them when they know well enough that they will be searched. It boggles the mind...

The platoon guide was fired this morning and replaced with the assistant platoon guide (a guy named Bugg). The new APG is my friend Jackman. Everyone seems to be upset by the Drill Sergeant's decision and is visibly bristling at the prospect of her issuing any orders. She is not well-liked here. I will admit that some of her actions can be perceived as a little abrasive at times, but usually her reactions are well-founded. She always says what I am thinking...lol. I suppose I would get in trouble too if some people knew what was only going through my mind.

Earlier today everyone was surprised to see our senior DS drive up in a very nice Lexus. I wonder how much an E-7 with 18 years of service makes? It seems that most everyone I've seen thus far in the military has a new car.

...

It is 7:20pm, and today was a good mail day. I received a letter from my husband, a card from my mom, a postcard from my website moderator, and a letter from a former co-worker who was shocked to learn that I had enlisted in the military.

From what we have been hearing, it seems like tomorrow may be an uncharacteristically easy day. Our company has been assigned "post detail". Each of the platoons could be assigned somewhere on base, helping out wherever it is needed, picking up trash, etc. I am in a group of 40 individuals whose detail consists of being sent to the Department of Defense Polygraphic Institute. The Drill Sergeant said that we may be employed as guinea pigs for the students of the FBI and CIA who are learning to use a lie detector. Sounds like it might actually be interesting!

We've been cut loose for the evening fairly early today. Having this free time is great. Granted, we are really supposed to be engaging in "barracks maintenance", but there is only so much sweeping, mopping and cleaning that folks can do. I'll pitch in and help for awhile, but after a bit, I'll try to catch a nap if I can. Sleep is always on my mind.

No comments: