Wednesday, February 01, 2006

#70 - Ah, the fun















No mail yet here - maybe by the end of the week. The Drill Sergeants told us that it can sometimes take up to 2 weeks to receive mail once you ship downrange to BCT from Reception. Being cut off from the rest of the world is tough. God, I miss the internet!

Today we had several classes on first aid. In one of the classes we were shown how to jam a large tube down someone's nostril to open their breathing passage. This tube was much larger than the diameter of a nostril - I'd say at least 2 or 3 times as big, and about 8" long. The instructor told us that we had to practice on each other and jam the tube up one another's nostrils. We looked at him like he was crazy. One of the girls started putting a tube up my nose, and my eyes began to tear at the pain, and the prospect of what I was going to endure. Honestly I felt like these people were nuts, and I was ready to bolt for the door. Another guy started jamming the tube up his battle buddy's nose, and he began bleeding from the nose all over the place. At this point, the instructor said, "I'm only kidding. You don't really have to put the tube in. It was only a joke." Real freakin' funny. I was not happy to be the brunt of his joke, but more ticked off that he let it go so far that people were actually injured.

We had MREs (Meals Ready to Eat) for the second time today in BCT. I like MREs because it is the only time I am not rushed (relatively speaking) while eating... and I don't have to sound off in the DFAC at the top of my lungs. On the plus side, I have been told that the Drill Sergeants have thus far been impressed by my level of motivation. I scream so loud that my voice cracks in the DFAC. It's surprising that I haven't lost my voice yet.

As platoon guide, I received a special arm patch today - basically a large version of a SFC insignia. The assistant platoon guide, Pvt. Newman, wears a SSG patch, and the four squad leaders have four small SGT lapel pins. We all feel very "special" to wear our insignias. I'll wear mine until I am "fired" from the position - whenever that may be. Thus far I've apparently been functioning well as platoon guide. Most of the PGs from the other platoons have been fired already.

Tomorrow is our first ability group run, and I'm a little nervous. I will try very hard not to fall out. Running is still my weakness, and there is so much room for improvement! Afterwards we are scheduled to receive a class on map reading and land navigation. At least this is something I am skilled at in the civilian world, so I have something to look forward to. If it's one thing I'm proficient at, it's finding my way through the woods with a map and a compass!

Well, have to run. Rumor has it that there is a er, um, rather unpleasant female Drill Sergeant from another company pulling CQ duty in our barracks tonight, so I should help to clean the bay...

No comments: