Saturday, February 25, 2006

#96 - Smokin'

The company just experienced a smoking outside in the rain for 1/2 hour. We were supposed to learn "The Army Song", and most people were caught only lip-synching. The smoking session didn't seem to bother most people. It went longer than was probably necessary become some folks were laughing and goofing around while we were being smoked. You can tell that the collective mood is improving, and we're over the hump in BCT. In the beginning, everyone hated being smoked, but now it doesn't bother most people.

Today is the 32nd day of BCT, and the 41st day I've been at Fort Jackson. It seems so long ago that I was at Reception, and dropped off at the MEPS to begin my journey here. Now it seems like I've been at Fort Jackson forever, and this Army existence is the norm. How scary is that?

In some ways, it's been easier now to get used to the schedule, the surroundings, and the people here. Time, however, does not lessen the pain or loneliness I feel being away from my husband, my family, and home. Every Sunday I have the routine of coming back from breakfast, sitting in the latrine (my private space), looking over my photographs, and having a good cry. One of the most difficult things about BCT is being cut off from communication from the outside world. If I were able to use the phone every day, I'm sure this would be easier. But then again, BCT is not supposed to be easy, in any way...

I am on weapons guard duty. The other guard is complaining about how her brain is dying a slow death here at BCT. I guess I'm not alone in feeling this way.

I actually tried to meditate for a little while this morning while everyone was at church, but it was still too noisy in the barracks. It was worth a shot, anyway.

Last night I had the distinct displeasure of being roused from my sleep by a flashlight and screaming at 3:30am. The 1SG and two DSs made a surprise inspection of the barracks. Since it had rained nonstop the previous day, I had my rain poncho draped over the side of the bunk to dry (most of us did). The 1SG ripped it off the bed, kicked my mattress, and threw it at me.

Oh well, at least my locker hasn't been tossed lately. Every once in awhile they catch someone with an unsecured locker, and there is hell to pay.

Well, my shift is almost over, so it will be soon time for barracks maintenance, lunch, and probably details for the rest of the afternoon...

No comments: