Friday, February 24, 2006

#94 - Halfway through BCT

I am presently working a rare early evening fire guard shift. Bedcheck was 9pm, and I had to get up again at 9:40 for my 10:00pm shift. Of course the females in my room wouldn't shut up and go to bed when they were supposed to, so I only got about 5 minutes of sleep instead of 40 that I could have. It usually takes them at least a good 30 minutes to an hour to settle down every night and finally quiet down. It sounds like some kind of junior high slumber party with all the talking, giggling, and sometimes even farting. One of the females in the room also has the loudest hacking cough that I've ever heard. It sounds like an exaggerated version of a dying donkey. This girl will not cough all day while we are training, but suddenly when bedtime rolls around, she commences coughing like she is in her death throes. I may have to resort to wearing earplugs soon.

I believe our next bivouac begins next Thursday, and runs through Saturday. Somehow I doubt that I will be able to send and receive mail while we are in the field. I will continue to write, even if it is by a hidden flashlight in my sleeping bag.

I am not really looking forward to the remaining two field training exercises. First, it sounds like we are going to get even less sleep than usual. Second, there will be no showers and less than adequate personal hygiene capability in the field. Third, the Drill Sergeants are looking forward to gassing us, and I know this will inevitably come during the middle of the night while we are sleeping (and unprepared). Additionally, the bivouacs entail consuming nothing but MREs, which wreak havoc on the digestive system in ways I will refrain from elaborating upon. At least we will have the preparations for graduation to look forward to after the final FTX. The anticipation of that alone will make it more bearable. As of now, I've been at BCT for 31 days (at Fort Jackson 39 days), and basic is more than halfway over.

Next week we are going back up to Reception for our deferred uniform issue. This is when we will receive the new-style PTs and be fitted for our Class 'A' dress uniforms (they didn't issue them to us sooner, since so many people gained or lost weight in BCT). I'm sure everyone will be excited about this, as it makes the prospect of graduation tangible.

Tonight we were given our rifle medals for qualifying with the M-16. Our company actually had six experts, and many sharpshooters. I am satisfied with my marksman medal. I've been told that there will still be more shooting here, but at least the actual qualification is over with.

No comments: