Tuesday, February 07, 2006

#73 - Two weeks in BCT

We began our day with running 30-60s (six reps). I think running will get a little easier with time.

Then we had a motor movement (bus ride) to the bayonet assault course, which was quite exhausting. Our 1SG made us run it two times because we weren't "motivated" enough. This course consisted of running up a hill, climbing over walls, jumping over pits, crawling on your back under barbed wire (which is harder than it sounds), walking on a balance beam, and other such fun, all while wearing the full battle rattle and stabbing things with the bayonet on the business end of the M-16. Before that we practiced on a shorter course. I beat myself up pretty well physically and busted my finger, whacked my shin, and aggravated my right knee, which has already been bothering me. If I wasn't so "motivated" I probably wouldn't have hurt myself in the process.

Afterwards we had a pugil stick competition. My helmet was way too loose, and as a result I set myself up to be injured. The girl I was fighting with, Pvt. Jackman, pummelled me in the head so hard that I started to cry. I think it was almost a concussion, as I saw stars! She felt bad and didn't want to continue the fight, but the Drill Sergeants wouldn't let us stop. I was subsequently pummelled in the head four more times. The pain was so incapacitating that my platoon mates had to help me remove my equipment when it was over. Sometimes I feel like the Army is toughening me up, but then there are times like this when I feel like a huge wuss!

Today is supposed to be a barracks inspection with some brass checking us out. Apparently our barracks did not pass the white glove inspection with the Drill Sergeant on CQ duty last night. Yes, it was like a white glove test, as the DS was actually running his hand up along the tops of the door moldings to see if there was any dust. After our already long day, we were taken outside and smoked with "front-back-gos". The only good thing about being smoked in the dark is that they can't always see if you are really doing flutter kicks...lol. Hey, I do them most of the time, but when muscle failure sets in after doing them for a half hour, any little break you can get is welcomed.

We were also unceremoniously woken up during the night by a female lieutenant and a DS because one of the fire guards was wearing their gray PT shirt under their ACU top. Mass punishment is often meted out for one person's infraction. I am so tired today. I could really have used the sleep, as we have a full day of physical training coming up, followed by the night infilitration course. This is where we get to crawl several hundred meters under live rounds, while artillery is also going off, simulating a real battlefield environment. Sounds like a lot of fun! Crawling even a few meters with the IBA flak jacket, LCE, kevlar, and weapon is bad enough... I can't wait to do it for such a long distance.

No comments: