Wednesday, February 08, 2006

#74 - Night infilitration course

I have fire guard duty (again!) and some time to write. We finished the night infiltration course. This was physically exhausting, but not as traumatic as a lot of people expected it to be. We had to crawl a few hundred meters at the low crawl through a sand course around obstacles while gun fire and artillery went off around us. I also received an ass-chewing by another platoon's Drill Sergeant because I had trouble getting my earplugs to stay in.

I am not enamored of this particular Drill Sergeant. Last night he had CQ duty and sounded the door alarms all night in the barracks for no reason other than interrupting everyones' sleep. It seems that there are two types of Drill Sergeants here: those who genuinely care about training soldiers, and those who have sought the position for a power trip.

Yesterday we spent time working on our firing positions for the M-16, as the rifle range is coming up soon. It is difficult to comfortably fire while wearing the IBAs. We didn't have to wear these when I went through basic the first time.

It seems that every day here is fraught with pain, being uncomfortable, sleep deprived, stressed, or otherwise generally miserable. I know that this is how BCT is supposed to be, yet I pray that the remaining weeks pass quickly. I can't wait to get out of this place.

No comments: