Tuesday, February 21, 2006

#88 - Weapons qualification

I have some good news. I was able to qualify with my M-16 this morning... on the first try. I have been very worried about my ability to do so lately, since I was only able to hit the closest targets. The minimum was a 23 (out of 40), and I got a 25. It's not the best score, but it's better than just passing, so I'm happy.

We were given three actual days to qualify - today, Wednesday and Thursday. We will still likely have to shoot on all three days, even if we qualified on the first day. If we get a higher score on another try, they will take the highest one. So, the pressure is off for me. If I can do better next time, great - if not, no big deal. It is an immense relief to have the qualification over with, and I'm in a great mood right now.

Most of the big hurdles of basic training have now passed. We still have the few long roach marches, but after the 5-mile one we did the other day, I have more confidence now.

I'm happy that I did well at all firing, as I was upset when I entered onto the firing line. One of the Drill Sergeants made a disparaging remark about my physical appearance. I have a skin discoloration on my face that I don't have any control over (it's not like we can wear makeup here), and he was making fun of me. What a jerk. I don't understand these people sometimes. Some of the DSs are so professional and are great at what they do, but some of them seem to use their position to abuse those under them for their own amusement. I suppose it's human nature, but disappointing, nevertheless. I just hated having to bite my tongue in this scenario. There are so many things I could have said in retribution to this guy if this was the civilian world, but I had to keep my mouth shut.

I'm still in a good mood, nevertheless. We had PT early this morning (wakeup was at 3:30am). I've been working on my situps on my own time, and I'm close to doing what I need to on that part of the PT test. We haven't actually been tested on the two mile run yet, so I don't know where I'm at with that. However, I haven't fallen out of a group ability run yet, so I'm taking that as a good sign.

Unfortunately my good mood may soon wane, as it seems we are going to be getting in trouble again for my battle buddy. Each time we finish firing the M-16 and exit the firing line, we must undergo a "shakedown". During this process, we take off all our gear, empty our pockets, and then are searched by the cadre for any "brass and ammo" (basically they don't want a disgruntled or psycho private to pocket some live rounds for use later on). Well, Pvt. White was caught with some contraband in her pockets, M&Ms and gum (we are not allowed candy!). Some of the other girls here sneak this stuff out of the MREs, but at least they have the common sense to immediate consume the food and dispose of their trash surreptiously (by such techniques as wrapping the item within a feminine hygiene product...lol). Oh well...

...

It is 3:00pm and I'm still at the range. There are a lot of folks who haven't qualified, and are on their 4th attempt. I feel fortunate to have gotten this over with this morning. The rest of the day was relatively uneventful, and consisted of sitting around or being tasked with details like picking up trash. We will be spending the next two days out here, and I anticipate having a lot of down time to catch up on my letter and journal writing.

...

It is 7:00pm, and we are cleaning our weapons in the barracks. Pvt. White is currently MIA from our platoon classroom. She often takes off without telling anyone where she is going. The irony is that she complained to the Drill Sergeants that she didn't have time to clean her weapon, yet she took off again. Some of the people in my platoon have a hard time understanding how I haven't flipped out on my battle buddy yet, and say that I must have an incredible amount of patience. I do try very hard to contain my composure, but I must admit that there are some days when it is very difficult to do so.

No comments: