Sunday, August 06, 2006

#145 - Suggested items for AIT

Folks who are planning to attend AIT after basic training usually wonder what they are allowed to bring with them, and what items might make life a little easier to take. Such a list can vary, as policies differ by post and individual company, as well as by a person's interests. I have compiled a list of some items which I have found useful to have in my possession at AIT, and a few suggestions of things that other folks here with me have in the barracks.

- a Camelbak (or other make of) hydration pack

I opted for a model which holds a good amount of water (~100 ounces) and has enough space to carry my gear (book or tablets for school, poncho, water bottle for class, and ink pens). Camelbaks on this post are only allowed in military colors like the ACU pattern, DCU pattern, foliage green, or black... no purple/pink combos or other odd color schemes.

- a cell phone loaded with features

It is true that there are payphones on base, but almost everyone at AIT has a cell phone. Most have features such as a built-in camera, ability to send text messages/e-mail, or play MP3 files. I have a Blackberry-like Samsung phone which allows internet access. This is a luxury as getting on the internet can be very challenging here since owning laptops is forbidden by many companies.

- MP3 player or CD player and music

Almost everyone has one of these. I have a 30GB video Ipod which I update with new music and podcasts every few weeks. I've also tried listening to the local National Public Radio stations on a small radio, but reception in our cinderblock barracks building is fleeting, and I mostly rely upon the Ipod for entertainment.

- portable DVD player and movies

I don't have one of these, but many people do. The rule of thumb for owning personal electronics in our barracks is that it must fit into the cargo pocket of a pair of ACU pants... anything larger is generally verboten.

- civilian clothes

Storage at AIT is limited, but after a soldier "phases up" and receives off-post passes, most rush out to purchase some civilian clothes for the weekends. The selection of clothing at the PX on base is quite limited, though more options exist with a visit to the local mall. Many people have family or friends at home mail them their favorite clothes. At any given time, I only have room for about 2 or 3 outfits in my locker.

- storage chest

My company allows soldiers to possess a black plastic storage chest or footlocker. These are indispensible for all of the items which you cannot easily fit (or display) in your locker, or for a temporary holding area for clean laundry you haven't gotten a chance to properly put away. Storage chests must be locked and are available here for about $24.00 at the PX.

No comments: