Thursday, August 03, 2006

#143 - Heat Cat V

It's another day in AIT at Fort Gordon and the temperatures again hover around the triple-digit mark. I've been going to the gym every day to work out on an exercise bicycle, but it's getter rougher as the temps climb. I've been on medical profile for a few weeks now, and will be long after I leave here. Sometime in basic training I developed severe shin splints in both of my legs, stress fractures in my feet, and tendonitis to boot. Unfortunately my profile has barred me from any kind of running, jumping or marching. When I am finally able to run again, it's going to be difficult having to start over from scratch.

The other folks in my class had their EOC (end-of-cycle) PT test this morning (I did not have to take it because of the aforementioned profile). This signifies that the end of my time in AIT is indeed near. As of today I have exactly 2 weeks of training left. I have been away from home since January 17th, and it seems like this has gone on for an eternity. More than 7 months of being a trainee, and seven months of being screamed at by Drill Sergeants. I wonder if it will be an easy transition back to the civilian world? What will I do when nobody is there to punish me if I forget to make my bed in the morning? Or when there is dust on my shoes, or dust bunnies on the floor? How will I be able to deal with slowly enjoying a cup of coffee in the morning while lazily waking up to NPR and the internet? What about those weekends of sleeping in with the dogs and my hubby? Somehow I think I'll make the adjustment just fine. ;> I only need to get out of here! Almost done... almost done!

No comments: