Sunday, August 13, 2006

#149 - Capstone - day 1

Right now I am inprocessing for Capstone, our final FTX. We are in a gym where a Drill Sergeant is barking out orders, and all I can hear is a series of unintelligible echoes in a basketball court. It's about 100 degrees outside, and not much cooler in here. I'm wearing a full set of ACUs, an IBA (flak jacket), LBV (vest with pockets for ammo clips), pistol belt w/canteen, and a 100-ounce Camelbak, which will soon be depleted. I have been drinking a lot of water already. It certainly feels like August here at Fort Gordon.

Capstone is the last requirement I must meet to graduate AIT. Basically, it is five days in the field. In the morning, we go to the rifle range. In the afternoon, we practice MOS skills that we should have learned in our military training at AIT up until now. I don't know a lot of details about what the Capstone experience will entail, but that is my general understanding of what I have to look forward to.

I really am anxious to get this over and to return home. I have lived away from home in a military environment since January, and it seems like it's been forever. My husband and I have a lot of plans for the house when I get back. I have been gone a long time, and there is a lot to get caught up on.

No comments: