Monday, August 21, 2006

#153 - 21 August - supposed to be the last day... ;p

It is 10:32am, and today is my last official day on active duty, at least according to the orders I have in my wallet. Unfortunately I'm stuck here until Wednesday, as they are keeping us for the graduation ceremony. I wish it was optional.

At least I was able to spend the weekend with my husband. On Friday night I received an overnight pass and didn't have to be back at the company until Sunday afternoon. I was the only person in my company of 330 people to apparently receive the privilege. My husband said that this might be my payback for being a squared-away soldier for so many months...

My husband is "working from home" in the hotel for the next few days while he waits for me to be released from Fort Gordon. Luckily he has a job in IT which can afford him such privileges. We stopped at the post PX this weekend and picked him up an Xbox 360, so I know he'll also be suitably entertained. I also bought a nice speaker set for my Ipod. Have to take advantage of the tax-free shopping at the PX before I leave here...

The graduation ceremony is Wednesday at 4:00pm, so with any luck, we'll probably be on the road by 4:30pm. I'm planning to help my husband drive, so hopefully we'll make it home by early Thursday morning if we drive straight through.

It still doesn't feel "real" that I'm leaving here yet... in the same way that it took awhile for it to feel "real" when I originally enlisted in the Army.

I've been spending most of my time lately in these final days just thinking about home, and planning for the future. It's hard to believe that I've been doing this for 8 months. Sometimes I have my doubts, and wondered what I would have missed out on if I had chosen another path, and decided not to enlist in the military. There are times when I felt that I've been missing out on civilian life. Sometimes I've been angry at myself to having chosen this particular path, but I guess I didn't come into this blind. For whatever the reaosn, this is something that I felt the need to do. Luckily the difficult part of it is almost over.

No comments: