Tuesday, August 15, 2006

#151 - Capstone - day 3


It is 9:31am, and I am out at another rifle range. It's still the morning, but already unbearably hot, especially wearing all of this equipment. I've already finished today's range, which is "reflexive firing". It is essentially an exercise where you must hit targets in certain ways as they are being called, i.e. "Walk five meters. Turn right. Two shots, left 10 meters."




Tomorrow is a convoy live fire range, where we shoot at targets from the back of a moving truck, then disembark to fire at other targets after the truck stops for a simulated IED. Some of the students are wondering why we also have to do a convoy live fire range, since everyone had to do this in BCT not that long ago... I guess they figure that folks will encounter convoys in Iraq, so it's just additional training.

Yesterday we began "MOS validation training". This is a time where everyone sits around the computers, attempting to figure out what to do, and trying not to look stupid in the progress... ;p

After our MOS training yesterday, our camp, er, FOB (forward operating base) was surrounded by a group of simulated protesters. One of them handed us a brochure telling us to go home to "the land of Wal-Marts and Britney Spears" (I thought that was a nice touch). The protesters were peaceable until one of them decided to jump our barracade, at which point they were "shot".

At bed time we were also attacked. This came at an inopportune moment for me while I was in a state of undress in the tent. Shots and simulated artillery rounds were going off everywhere, people were screaming and running around, and I was throwing on clothes so fast I put my boots on backwards. It was entertaining.

This is day three of Capstone, and we are all starting to smell. The cadre are going to allow us our first (and only) shower tonight. One can only imagine how pungent the odor is being around people wearing all kinds of equipment in 100+ degree weather, some of them not changing into fresh clothes, after several days and several nights. This morning I experienced an olfactory memory of some of my days in archaeology brought upon my these smells. The persistent malodor brought me back to the days when I used to work with two archaeologist hippies that rarely showered. This was the same crew led by a whacko that used to brag about sleeping on garbage in the back of his van. It's been a long time since I've thought of those people, but being here lately, it's not that much of a stretch to close my eyes, draw in a deep breath, try not to gag, and remember...

It is 6:56pm and I'm happy to report that I've finally gotten that shower...aaaaah! However, stepping back out into the Georgia heat sort of negates the effect, and the positive feelings are short-lived.

I survived another day here, but I'll certainly be glad when this is over with. My body is riddled with fire ant bites all over... so many, that it looks like I have chicken pox.





<--- An inside look at D-MAIN













<--- Jeanene tries to catch a catnap in our tent, which wasn't easy in the 100+ heat
















<--- Guarding the perimeter during one of our "attacks"







<--- My battles trying to keep themselves entertained while waiting at one of the ranges

No comments: