Thursday, August 24, 2006

#154 - AIT Graduation

This is the day I've been waiting for... graduation from AIT!

Our uniform for the graduation ceremony was Class 'B's (the green dress uniform without the jacket), and was held in the battalion headquarters. The ceremony included the showing of a video about AIT at Fort Gordon, and speeches from several speakers including the brigade LTC. We were handed "fake" diplomas - I'm guessing that the real thing will come in the mail later. The only honor graduates came from my class, and I was awarded the title of distinguished honor graduate for having the highest average over a 95 in my class. Unfortunately this might mean that my unit might expect me to know what to do...lol. Anyway, the ceremony was relatively short, and I departed immediately after.

I will miss many of my classmates. Honestly I didn't care for a lot of the people I was with AIT with, but the folks in my class were an exception. We had some really good people in the 25B class. Hopefully we will all try to remain in touch with one another.

My husband drove to Fort Gordon to pick me up. We drove home (taking a nap or two along the way). Crossing over the state line and knowing I wasn't far from home was a nice feeling. We stopped for breakfast at a Perkin's restaurant shortly thereafter. When we were paying for our breakfast at the register, the manager came over. She said, "There was a gentlemen who just walked out the door a few minutes ago. He left money and instructions to pay for the breakfast of the woman in uniform."

Wow. A total stranger picked up the tab for our meal. That was really kind. I suppose that there are a lot of folks who are appreciative of those in the military who are serving their country. :)

No comments: