Sunday, April 30, 2006

#139 - Phase V !


Jeanene and I exploring Fort Gordon in civilian clothes with our newfound freedom

It has been nearly a month since I first arrived at Fort Gordon. I have been in classes for 2 weeks now, and over the past week completed the steps that come before the 'phasing' process. I had to retake my PT test (previously missed the situps by 1), and my platoon had to take a written test on general Army knowledge, successfully pass a Class 'A' uniform inspection, a wall locker and room inspection, and a barracks inspection. Luckily everything went fine, and I am now considered to be a 'Phase V' soldier. This status brings new privileges which weren't allowed as a 'Phase IV' soldier. We are now allowed to wear civilian clothes and to leave post on the weekend, and are treated a little more like humans instead of basic training holdovers.

This weekend, Jeanene and I celebrated our newfound freedom by going off post to... the mall! Yes, I know, this doesn't sound like a big deal, but for someone who has pretty much been in lockdown status since January 17th, something like going to the mall is a big deal. I bought some clothes, jewelry, a case for my Ipod, and enjoyed an iced coffee drink and a gyro. Later we were able to log onto the internet at a pizza place, and had some Mexican food at the Cinco de Mayo carnival on post. Any time spent away from the barracks is always a good thing.

I realized that most people who are in Phase V status here seem to celebrate by getting very drunk. During our last two 'Phase V' formations at night over the weekend, I witnessed several males becoming ill and vomiting... in formation. My partying days are long behind me, so I don't expect to be replicating their experience anytime soon.

My husband is planning to visit next weekend, and I am very much looking forward to seeing him again. :)

No comments: