Friday, April 07, 2006

#131 - The FOB, day 3

It is 12:39pm, and I am back at the FOB, getting ready to leave for my sick call appointment. I ended up staying at the hospital last night until 2:00am. The hospital personnel finally told me that Moora had been admitted, and someone from my company came to pick me up. They brought me back to the barracks, where I slept for two hours before having to go back to the FOB. Today, I am tired as hell. I'm kicking myself now for not trying to sleep more in the hospital waiting room. At least I was able to catch a quick shower back at the barracks, so that was a benefit.

This morning we spent four hours learning more hand-to-hand combat. I wasn't able to participate in all of the moves because of my foot, but I still learned some valuable techniques. In particular, there is a choke hold that you can put on someone that can cause them to pass out rather quickly. I don't know if I will ever have a chance to utilize any of these techniques, but I suppose it's good stuff to know.

It is 1:44pm and I am waiting to leave for my appointment. There is a strong, cool wind blowing, and it is a sunny day. It would be perfect weather to be lying out in a hammock for a nap. I wish I could do that right now. I am so exhausted, and sleep is constantly on my mind.

There are more rumors floating around amongst the AIT students. Everyone has a different idea about when we are supposed to have a phase change (from IV to V). To confuse matters, it seems like every company's cadre does it a little differently. So there are some folks who say they are getting a phase change right after the FOB, while we might have to wait a full month. I wish I knew exactly what was going on. The lack of information from our Drill Sergeants is very frustrating to deal with.

Someone also told me that certain AIT students are allowed to have POVs (private vehicles) here. They claimed that 4 or 5 people are chosen from each company, and the privilege is limited, because they just don't have enough parking for everyone. The same person told me that laptops are also allowed here. I guess I will just have to wait and see. I have heard so many different accounts that I do not know what to believe here (I later found out than none of this applied at my company).

It is now 4:11pm, and I'm on my way back to the FOB. I have a 7-day profile for my foot. The doctor believes I have tendonitis. At least it's nothing serious. (Little did I know that my foot would continue hurting me for the next 7 months, and still hurts as I type this in October).

A little bit later now, 7:48pm. The folks in my platoon are beginning to know me as the girl who is always writing in her little notebook. ;>

The sun is beginning to set. The weather is temperate now, but we're supposed to receive rain tomorrow... just in time for morning PT. I believe we are going to be conducting some MOUT training tomorrow.

No comments: