Tuesday, April 11, 2006

#135 - The FOB, day 7

It is 8:50am, and I am just finishing up a guard tower shift. I spent two hours up in the tower talking with one of the NCOs, Sgt Meno. She is unlike the MOS-Ts that I just described in my last posting... an exception to the rule here. I like Sgt Meno.

It is now 12:40pm, and after lunch. Earlier I had guard duty again, and am returning in a few minutes for another shift. I had duty again with Sgt Meno. She knew that I was dead tired, and didn't give me a hard time about it. I am so sleep-deprived right now that I was almost hallucinating... or so it seemed. I repeatedly thought I saw a deer walking through the FOB. Not a good sign. I still have a supply of the instant coffee packets to get me through the rest of the day, but I'm really hoping they will let us catch up on sleep when we get back to the barracks.

It is 4:37pm. We just finished a detail picking up brass and links (from SAW ammo) outside the FOB. It is Heat Cat V and quite toasty this afternoon. Yes, Georgia can be this hot - even in April. I can only imagine what fun a Northerner like me will have in this heat come August.

Other than my two guard shifts and this detail, I didn't do much today. Earlier my squad had a class and participated in a live convoy fire exercise. The Drill Sergeants had me sit it out since I was on profile, and was also pulling a guard shift. At one point one of the Sgts told me to go into our tent and sit down because I didn't have a battle buddy and there wasn't anything to do. I laid on my cot and waited for someone to come back. One of the other girls came back and threw a fit because she saw me laying down. She started to bitch and slam her equipment around because I was able to sleep and she was not. Actually I wasn't sleeping - there is no way in hell that I could attempt that in this heat, especially inside the tent where the temps are intensified. I didn't really care about this girl being angry, as she's not one of my favorite people here. She has been rude to me (and many others) the entire time we've been at the FOB. A few days ago I had guard duty with her, and she told me that she thought the Army turned her into a monster. From what I have experienced of her behavior thus far, I'd venture a guess that she was well on that path before ever enlisting in the military...

I'll just be happy when we are done here. My battle buddy Jeanene has been gone most of the time, and there isn't really anyone in my FOB platoon that I like talking to here. I've mostly chatted with Sgt Meno. There is also another girl here I've talked to that is a radical Christian. It has been interesting to hear her perspectives and some of the more wild aspects of her belief system. Mostly I've just been sitting here quietly by myself if I have some free time, as I'd rather not talk to anyone else.

It is 6:18pm, and I'm back at the barracks. The FOB is over, and I'm happy to be back at my company... if such a thing is possible.

No comments: