Thursday, April 06, 2006

#130 - The FOB, day 2

It is 11:11am, and I have a few minutes to write. We are taking a class on how to use a computer mapping program that uses GPS. It's pretty cool technology.

This morning I went to sick call, but they were too busy to see me, so I have another appointment for tomorrow afternoon. The one benefit of going was that I was able to drop a few letters in the mailbox. I forgot how much I enjoyed communicating with my friends and family.

Last night I was actually able to get a good six hours of sleep. I still need more, but I know tonight's will be less than that, since my platoon is slated for duty. I also fully expect the cadre to mess with us in the form of some kind of attack. Usually this involves hearing a loud siren sound, at which point you have to drop whatever you are doing, and run for a series of bunkers behind the tents.

It is 2:16pm. My location has changed, and the level of excitement has ratcheted up a bit. I am now at the hospital. I accompanied a girl from my platoon who abruptly passed out during our computer class. I know Moora from BCT at Fort Jackson. She was in another platoon, but I have spoken with her before at basic training. She was assigned to my platoon for the FOB, and I've been chatting with her over the past few days.

The temps are getting hotter, but I know that it's not even really hot yet. We didn't even do anything strenous today. After lunch we sat in the classroom, and I looked over at Moora, who was sitting next to me. Her face was lying on the keyboard. It looking like she was just on the verge of falling asleep. I subtly began nudging her so that she would wake up before the cadre caught her "napping". She didn't respond to me, and I signalled for help, just as everyone else started to notice that something was awry. There are a number of E-4s and E-5s in my class who immediately sprang into action. I was next to her, so I helped them get her out of the chair and onto the floor. I began undoing her boots and unblousing her pants (Red Cross training!) while they took her ACU top off. After that, everyone was booted out of the computer tent so that first aid could be administered without an audience. Later they brought her out under the covered pavillion, and booted out everyone again. I then volunteered to be her battle buddy, as she needed one to accompany her while the cadre were around her. I witnessed several Drill Sergeants and Sgts attempting to administer IVs, unsuccessfully. They weren't able to keep her conscious for more than a few seconds at a time. We went to the hospital in an ambulance. Hopefully Moora will be ok.

I just ran into another girl at the hospital that I knew from BCT at Fort Jackson. She's been stuck here without any money for lunch so I gave her a few bucks. There are only a few people here who were in our company from BCT. It seems that most of the folks in my AIT company went through basic training at Fort Benning.

The platoons we were assigned to at the FOB are completely arbitrary and comprised of people from several different companies. My battle buddy, Jeanene, is in another platoon. I think we were both bummed out about that. You know, it's funny... there are definately some smarter folks here, on a whole, compared to some of the people I went through BCT with. However, many of the girls I've run into aren't very nice. It's as if they are intelligent and they know it, and look down upon everyone else. There are two bitchy girls here in particular who really rub me the wrong way. Females are also the minority here, unlike my BCT company. So the odds of finding a pleasant female to converse with are not as high as I would like (you can't always talk to the males, lest it appear to be "fraternization"). Maybe that's why I'm already missing my battle buddy. I like Jeanene. I wonder how my experience in BCT would have differed if I was in her platoon instead of being paired with White.

There are two other "newbie" females in my company (and my room in the barracks) besides Jeanene. Jacyln is not a 25B, but a 25S (I think that is a satellite communications MOS). She seems nice enough, but I haven't bonded with her yet. Gemini is an older woman (that is, my age) of Indonesian descent. She is nice enough. Gemini is also a 25B like Jeanene and myself. We have expressed interest in trying to do well at AIT and spending a lot of time studying. I think we will all fare well.

Jeanene told me today that she is finding out more and more that we are like-minded in many ways. For one, we hate being late, and try hard not to get into trouble. We are always first out the door to formation with Jacyln and Gemini right behind. Like me, Jeanene is most concerned with keeping up communication via snail mail and phone with her man (I think he's a Sheriff's deputy). She told me that on the weekends that if I don't have plans with my husband, that she would be happy to accompany me to a book store, or maybe even the historic district in Augusta. Sounds like we are going to get along just fine...

There is a TV here in the hospital waiting room. Today on Larry King Live there is a special on "the world of polygamy". Darn... I won't get to see it. ;>

It is 3:00pm and I am still at the hospital. One of the Sgts told me that Moora is recuperating and will be ok. That is good news.

4:24 pm... still here. I'm spending my 2nd day at the FOB at the hospital, it seems. I wonder what I am missing out on. At least I am currently having an enjoyable respite. I am seated at a Starbucks within the hospital enjoying a tall caramel frappacino and a vanilla caramel treat. I am likely to spazz from the sugar influx. It has been a long time since I've treated myself to such decadence. I feel like I'm getting away with something... I purchased some chocolate to bring back for my battle buddies at the FOB.

I've been watching CNN here. I have missed the news, and knowing what's going on in the world. They are already discussing the 2008 Presidential election and a rumored ticket of McCain and Falwell. Are they talking about the Rev. Jerry Falwell? What about the Democrats? Who are the contenders? There is also a story about the Scooter Libby intel link.

I generally don't watch TV at home, but I do miss listening to National Public Radio, and occasionally the BBC. If we are allowed to have personal electronics, I might have to pick up a small radio so that I can listen to NPR in the barracks. It will probably be an el cheapo model, as I keep hearing that thievery runs rampant at my company.

I have also been passing the time here talking politics with a civilian. I think she is as bored as I am. Unfortunately Starbucks has closed up for the evening, so I can't rely on an influx of caffeine to keep me going.

It is amazingly 7:43pm and I'm still here. Luckily I had a calling card on me, and was able to use a payphone to call my husband. It was really nice to hear his voice, as I hadn't expected to talk to him at all during the FOB.

I do not know how much longer I'm going to be here. At least Moora is probably getting to sleep the day away. No one has told me when she is going to be released, so I have to wait until I hear something.

There is a National Geographic-type TV show on about penguins. It is very moving. A father penguin has not eaten for four months while waiting for his mate to return. The father is still coughing up fluids to feed the young penguin chicks. Morgan Freeman is the narrator: "Hopefully, the mother will arrive soon. For some, it is, however, too late." Sad stuff. Luckily I'm not PMSing or I would probably start bawling... ;>

There is a lot of weird footage on this show of mass formations of penguins squawking away. Morgan Freeman again: "The sound is deafening, but somehow each penguin is able to hear their mate's sound." I know that I must really be sleep deprived, because this footage is more captivating than it should be. God, my head really needs some rest.

Almost 8pm... Maybe I will be able to close my eyes for a little bit. I wonder if anyone will yell at me for doing so in the hospital waiting room?

No comments: