Wednesday, November 30, 2005

#5 - The waiting game


Right now I'm in a bit of a holding pattern. I'm waiting for my waiver to be approved (I need a waiver since I chaptered out of basic training the last time). It has been approved at the company (?) level but I have to wait for the paperwork to pass through the proper channels.

Upon the final approval, I will be visiting the MEPS (Military Entrance Processsing Station) again. Another height & weight test, then meeting with an Army counselor to talk about jobs. I'd like to leave for basic in January or February. If I can't do that, then I may try to wait to go until the fall because of civilian obligations.

I'd like to know what's going on... the anticipation and not knowing is torture!

I previously visited the MEPS in October to undergo an initial evaluation for enlistment. The Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, National Guard, and Coast Guard all process potential recruits through the MEPS. This entailed enduring a day filled with taking the ASVAB test (the military's way of evaluating your ability to do various jobs) as well as a physical. Luckily I did pretty well on the ASVAB, and was told that I should (in theory) qualify for any job I wanted. The first time I took the ASVAB years ago, I scored an AFQT of 96 out of 99 possible points. Not bad! This time around I scored an AFQT of 87. Perhaps my brain has atrophied somewhat over the years...? Or maybe I should have taken more than 20 minutes to finish the entire test!

The physical included taking height and weight, the infamous "duck walk" in your underwear, hearing and eye testing (including depth perception), a blood, urine and breathalyzer test, a 5 second ob-gyn exam, filling out a number of forms, and an interview with a very crotchety doctor. The MEPS is where recruits are given their first glimpse of "hurry up and wait"... not a lot of fun.

No comments: